Strategisk kommunikation: AI, kognition och kultur, 15 hp
Strategic communication has traditionally relied on the intuition acquired by skilful practitioners in long years of experience and immersion. However, as communicative interventions increasingly take place in multi-faceted and inter-cultural digital landscapes, the “gut feeling” that grows with intimate knowledge of one’s target group is increasingly hard to come by.
In this course, we will explore how advances in the mind sciences, as well as emerging methodologies relying on Artificial Intelligence, can help in developing strategic communication for audiences ‘not like me’. We will furthermore investigate how journalistic, communication and activist practices are already transformed by the new approaches, and discuss what big data and total surveillance do to society at large.
The course features teachers from cognitive science, media psychology and the humanities lab as well as journalists, activism researchers and strategic communication theorists.
The ten week-course is divided into five elements of one or two weeks each but will be kept together by a group project.
- At the beginning and end (element 0), the course provides a brief introduction to strategic communication theory and raises ethical awareness.
- In the second element, students will learn about various ways of psychographic segmentation to inform their communication project.
- In the third element, students will use machine learning (AI) and language processing in order to understand large amounts of digital content and map their field.
- In the fourth element, students will experiment with eye-tracking to better understand visual attention and test their communication material.
- In the fifth element, the course moves on to discuss the ethical implications of technological change on society and culture.
The course requires no prior knowledge of strategic communication. Students with an affinity to computational approaches and the mind sciences will find the course more accessible and rewarding. As the course brings together five previously distinct areas and is conducted by highly specialised staff, a marked ability to synthesise knowledge, i.e. ‘connect the dots’, is of help.
studievagledare [at] isk [dot] lu [dot] se
Högskolepoäng: 15 hp
Startperiod: HT21 period 3 & 4
Studietakt: Heltid (100%)
Förkunskapskrav: För tillträde till kursen krävs fullgjorda kursfordringar om 90 högskolepoäng i samhällsvetenskapligt eller humanistiskt ämne eller motsvarande.Muntlig och skriftlig språkfärdighet i engelska motsvarande Engelska 6/B från svenskt gymnasium är ett krav. Ekvivalering genomförs i enlighet med nationella riktlinjer. Generellt undantag för kravet på kunskaper i svenska medges för internationella studenter.